Florida Contract Dispute Lawyers
Podhurst Orseck’s award-winning commercial litigation team advocates the interests of our clients in nearly every type of complex business-related controversy. Nearly 50 percent of the firm’s practice involves the resolution of corporate and commercial disputes, from complex commercial litigation to contract negotiations. Our clients span all areas of the business spectrum from Fortune 500 companies and mid-size corporations to small businesses and private clients.
Our legal team has achieved international recognition and many of our high-profile cases receive local and nationwide media attention. Our firm has been named Litigation Department of the Year by The Daily Business Review. The U.S. News & World Report has ranked our firm as a “Top Tier” firm, and our lawyers among the “best” in America. We have numerous other national and regional awards and honors. We have also represented plaintiffs in some of the biggest multidistrict litigation matters in the country.
Our practice ranges from the most complex commercial cases to simple contract disputes. Regular litigation clients include: Flagler Development Group, Codina Development Inc., and Florida East Coast Properties, Inc.
Complex Commercial Litigation and Contract Disputes
The firm handles commercial cases under both hourly and contingency arrangements. We employ experienced paralegals and support staff to assist the lawyers in order to ensure cost efficient handling of these cases. In addition, the firm has developed and implemented an advanced computerized litigation support system to organize and analyze the voluminous documents often associated with complex commercial litigation.
We handle all manner of contract disputes, including:
- Breach of contract
- Covenants not to compete
- Nondisclosure agreements
- Tortious interference
- Real estate contract disputes
In addition, our commercial practice includes:
- Securities litigation
- Business torts
- Trademark and patent infringement
- Employment disputes
- Lender liability
- Attorney and accountant malpractice
- Director and officer liability
- Class action litigation
- Product Liability
Recent Commercial Litigation Highlights
A sampling of major commercial cases our firm has handled during the past five years includes :
- Defense before the United States Supreme Court (and in intermediate trial and appellate courts) of a challenge to the personal jurisdiction conferred under a standard franchise agreement utilized nationwide by a Fortune 500 company;
- A multi–million dollar punitive and compensatory damage award obtained for a local banking client against a corporate banking customer engaged in fraudulent wire transfers;
- The successful representation of several major investors in a proxy battle for control of a large locally–based banking institution;
- A multi–million dollar verdict, including punitive and compensatory damages, obtained for an independent insurance agent whose exclusive agency relationship was wrongfully terminated by a major insurance provider;
- Prosecution of securities and racketeering claims by a group of minority shareholders against entrenched management in a local savings and loan;
- Defense of employee wrongful discharge, Title VII and ADEA claims for a major local developer;
- Defense of several Big Six Accounting firms in accounting malpractice cases.
- Defense of a high media profile tortious interference claim involving well known boxing promoters and a world champion boxer.
Our attorneys are regularly featured in regional and national publications on litigation-related topics, and are frequent lecturers at legal education and professional development seminars across the country.