Matt is a partner who focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and class actions. With extensive experience in federal and state court litigation, Matt has been recognized by the Daily Business Review as one of Miami’s “Most Effective Lawyers” and an attorney “On the Rise” (as one of the top attorneys under 40). Some of Matt’s notable representations include:
• Serving as one of the firm’s lead attorneys in the Takata Air Bag Litigation, which has resulted in approved settlements totaling over $1.5 billion to date;
• Leading the litigation against Ally Financial over its lease-end practices, which resulted in a settlement valued at more than $19 million;
• Securing a settlement valued at more than $57 million with Volkswagen over allegedly defective suspension systems in its vehicles;
• Obtaining a jury verdict for a plaintiff in a federal securities fraud action and defending the verdict on appeal;
• Defending a Big four accounting firm in a federal action arising out of the bankruptcy of a Florida-based mortgage originator; and
• Defending a leading law firm in a state court legal malpractice action.
Matt is an honors graduate of Harvard College (B.A. cum laude 2002) and of the University of Miami School of Law (J.D. summa cum laude 2010), where he was an editor of the University of Miami Law Review. Prior to law school, Matt worked as an equities trader for three years and as a foreign exchange trader for two years. After law school, Matt served as a law clerk to Judge Rosemary Barkett of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Matt is admitted to the Florida Bar.